Our Liberal Democrat pledge for Liverpool is to be the party that does the most to champion the young, whilst treating all generations fairly. Read on to see 10 things we will do.
Here's what we pledge to do:
- Lower the voting age to 16 in all elections and referendums, whilst making far greater efforts to ensure that young people qualifying for the first time and students moving to universities get onto the electoral roll
- Implement a Young Persons Bus Discount Card – 2/3 off bus travel for 16-21 year olds
- Invest in mental health to help ensure that no young person’s life is blighted by a lack of access to support
- Seek to protect Erasmus or equivalent EU university exchange opportunities
- Reinstate university maintenance grants, scrapped by Labour, to ensure that living costs are not a barrier to attending university for less well-off students
- Reverse Tory cuts to housing benefit for 18-21 year olds
- Create a “help to rent” scheme, providing government-backed loans for first time renters under 30
- Establish a “rent to own” model, where rent payments give tenants an increasing stake in the property, owning it outright after 30 years
- Break the grip of the criminal gangs and protect young people by introducing a legal, regulated market for cannabis
- Most importantly, we will fight against a damaging hard Brexit, supporting the over 70% of 18-24 year olds who voted to remain. We demand that the public is given the opportunity to cast their vote on the final exit deal, the opportunity to change course, the opportunity to remain in the EU.
This article is taken from a blog published by Tom Sebire, which can be found at www.tomsebire.wordpress.com